WILD ROOT ART .com
This is a fledgling project initiated by me, Val Sivilli and funded by the RVCC Adjunct Research Grant Program. Its goal is to revitalize the PRINTSHOP at RVCC while creating opportunity to:
COLLABORATE with PROCESS – Get PHYSICALLY Engaged – Refine those HAPTIC skills –
NOURISH Community – Acquire skills to make ART-WARES – Create a Corporal Edifice
for the Digital Arts – Foster Co-Teaching Opportunities – Engage the larger RVCC community.
Currently, the website http://www.wildrootart.com is being populated with content. The site is public. I am happy for any suggestions or help. Why Wild Root Art you might say? Well, I owned the URL already and was not using it, so I used it for this. It can change.
PRINTMAKING is an incredible way to engage the body and the creative mind. We have valued PRINTMAKING as a way to create multiples. For that sole function, the PRINTSHOP has been replaced by the Digital Print. PRINTMAKING’s less obvious benefits to the visual art student is what I feel needs to be explored, exposed, branded and marketed for it to not just survive, but to thrive. The PRINTSHOP can serve as a HUB for COMMUNITY building. As well, it has always functioned as a place to gestate creative thinking. As well, haptic skills are developed and challenged. Haptic skills – using our colleague Libby Clarke’s chosen language – are needed to create successful prints. These are the very skills our students are sorely lacking. Incorporating PRINTMAKING into your curriculum refines and develops physical dexterity.
Examples of how PRINTMAKING can be integrated into the RVCC Community andhow PRINTMAKING can be used within an existing curriculum:
- Screenprinted T-Shirts Workshops :Theatrical Productions, Student Initiatives, Awareness Campaigns, engaging digital Arts, theater, Dance, Music, poetry, sociology, criminal justice, etc.
- Collaborations between Creative Writing and the Art Department
- aka: Limited edition Poetry Books handprinted by Letterpress or Screenprinting
- The Library can sponsor BROADSIDE or Poetry Banner PROJECTS using the PRINTSHOP
- Handprinted designs ( pattern repeat?) for WallPaper, Wrapping Paper, Book Covers –
- Color Theory , 2D Design, Interior Design, Digital Arts
- Creating Merch for a Theatrical Productions at the college (engage Work Force ?)
- Limited edition Musical Scores, CD covers. Collaborative Student projects
- Screenprint patterns onto Ceramic Tile
- Frottage: Drawing & 2D Classes
- Zine production can be explored in Digital Arts and the PRINTSHOP simultaneously.
- PORTFOLIO Class can create posters, products, etc
- Existing Logo Concepts for any performance productions can be recharged and products produced in the PRINTSHOP
I am planning a few open workshops throughout the semester. Once these workshops are fully developed, the dates will be shared and the faculty will be invited. I would also like to take a closer look at the printmaking course descriptions to update, recharge, rebrand. Let’s save this PRINTSHOP and make it vital and sustainable for our students. For success, it needs engagement, funding and commitment. You can contact me at firstname.lastname@example.org.